Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Apple Picking

On Friday (9/24/10) J and I went apple picking. I have trouble with eating apples because of all the wax and such that they put on them. Other fruits and veggies bother me sometimes but apples drive me crazy, so we headed up to an organic apple orchard. We went to Raven Hill Orchard in East Waterboro ME. I have to tell you I really liked it. It was small but the owner was really down to earth and friendly and the food was very reasonably priced. The apple selection was small, partially due to a last frost this year, and partially due to the organic methods. Still his prices were very fair. J got a homemade dough nut for $.50 and I got a homemade muffin for $2.00. Both were delicious.

One thing I noticed about the farm was how difficult it was to grow apples using organic methods. It made me really appreciative for how much easier it is to grow food with modern day technology. It took maybe three times as long as it usually did to pick apples, because so many had been eaten by bugs. It really made me appreciate how spoiled I am. When I want food I can usually just go to the store and get it, or really I can simply go to my cabinet and get it. As I was pouring over the apple trees and lowering my standards of what apples would be considered acceptable to eat I thought about how much more work it used to be to grow food and how much more appreciative people probably were for food. I feel like it is so easy to take food for granted and not give any thought to where it comes from or the people who go without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment